Wednesday, May 27, 2015

not so stealth update

Nebula 95 now has its own series page, which is something I've been meaning to do since, like, March, but it got bogged down in a really long essay on the pathetic "elitism" vs. "rugged individualism" slapfight that I see going on in the community, which i have since cut out. It was a "stealth update" because, uh, that's how I've handled all the Serial Killing features so far. Heck, i don't even know how many people know that the feature even exists!

Serial Killing is one of the features on the blog, which really means that I should be featuring them whenever they're written instead of sneakily inserting them at the day after the last review for the series was posted, but there are many things about this site that I am uncoordinated with. I guess this is my attempt to do these articles justice since they constitute some of the least-trafficked areas of the blog. Serial Killing is a very not politically correct title, and it still feels a little gross having it there, because I find nothing glamorous about its namesake. I am strongly considering changing the name of the feature to "Super Serials" as I am writing this.

anyway, regardless of the name of the feature, it had its genesis in the Master Levels For Doom II article. one of the things I did was do exhaustive playthroughs of all the surrounding material, which included several different series - Titan, Inferno, and Cabal. at some point I foolishly thought that it would be pretty cool to build posts similar to my multi-map reviews for the "collected" series. in fact, I didn't have the infobox style in place at the time. after "borrowing" it from andy olivera's Visions of Doom page, i tweaked the format and tested it out in the series pages and then, on recommendation, reformatted the rest of the site reviews using it.

another thing I started doing like a few years ago but never really knuckled down to finish was something similar to the series feature but geared more toward authors, like a career retrospective. i still have the Christen David Klie article bouncing around in my drafts. I've also had a bunch of other feature ideas kicking around, but the only one that's made it was the hastily slapped-together Maximum Doom article.

in any case, if you didn't know about the series features before, I hope you'll give them a read! they were fun to write, and i hope they're at least fun to read, if not informative.

6 comments:

  1. Sorry to remind you again but you forgot to update The Troopers Playground review with fixed wad. The link is basically the same but the zip now has a fixed folder with the was fixed inside, just like Obituary has.

    -FistMarine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn autocorrect on phone, I meant wad, not was!

      Delete
    2. so wait, are you saying that the version of TTP from DSDA is complete and ready to go, and what you want me to do is delete the guide on getting it up and running?

      Delete
    3. Yes, it was updated a month ago when I contacted Andy about a fixed TTP wad but unfortunately I deleted my gmail account before I received a reply (I wanted to create a new gmail account) and I noticed the change 1-2 weeks ago.

      -FistMarine

      Delete
  2. I'm interested in reading this opinion piece on the "elitism" vs. "rugged individualism" topic, may I have a link?

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Serial Killing" sounds fine for me. It's a cool pun.
    Besides, since its release, Doom has always carried some degree of controversy along with it, so this title just fits.

    ReplyDelete